Kyiv Sculpture Project: Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Date uploaded: September 26, 2012
Yorkshire Sculpture Park: Kyiv Sculpture Project
YSP is co-curator of Kyiv Sculpture Project (KSP), the First International Festival of Contemporary Sculpture in Ukraine. The festival (2 June 2012–2 July 2012) is in Kyiv’s Mykola Gryshko National Botanical Garden and coincides with Euro 2012.
The festival comprises new work by finalists in a contemporary sculpture contest and an exhibition curated by YSP, of work by eminent 20th and 21st century artists, exhibited in Ukraine for the first time.
The contemporary sculpture contest presents works by 15 sculptors from Ukraine, United Kingdom, Australia, Russia, Poland and the Netherlands. Ukraine is represented by nine artists and art groups: Oleksii Zolotariov, Stepan Riabchenko, Anna Naduda, Oleksiy Say, ubik. group, Zhanna Kadyrova, Kateryna Buchatska, GREVIS group and Dobrynia Ivanov. Foreign participants of KSP include Karin van der Molen (The Netherlands), Sally Kidall (Australia), Colin Rose (United Kingdom), Pprofessors group (Russia), Kamila Szejnoch (Poland) and Rachel Carter (United Kingdom).
These artists will compete for the Main Prize (6.000 euro), a Special Prize (3.000 euro), the Prize for the Best Young Ukrainian Artist (practice at the studio of a leading sculptor), Special Prize from YSP (residency at the Park), the "Best Ukrainian Artist" nomination according to Marie Claire, and the People's Choice Award (2.000 euro).
The international jury consists of Dr. Helen Pheby: Curator, YSP and Co-curator of KSP 2012 (United Kingdom); Mukhail Reva: sculptor, Meritorious Artist of Ukraine, Professor of International Architecture at the Academy of Ukraine (Ukraine); Melissa Hamnett: Curator of Sculpture, the Victoria and Albert Museum (United Kingdom); Sui Jianguo: sculptor and participant in the Special Project 2012 (China) and Kateryna Taylor: Curator, Kyiv Sculpture Project 2012 (Ukraine).
For the first time ever works by Eva Rothschild (Ireland), Magdalena Abakanowicz (Poland), Sui Jianguo (China), Nigel Hall (United Kingdom), and Jaume Plensa (Spain) are exhibited in Ukraine.
The curatorial selection panel comprises:
- Helen Lucy Pheby PhD, Curator at Yorkshire Sculpture Park (United Kingdom)
- Kateryna Taylor, Contemporary art expert, co-Founder of Kadygrob & Taylor Art Projects
- Vladimir Kadygrob, Curator, co-Founder of Kadygrob & Taylor Art Projects
- Michael Reva, Ukrainian sculptor and architect
The festival is organised by:
- Non-profit organisation Spilna Meta: Created by Yuliya Liovochkina, Irina Akimova and Irina Gorina, Spilna Meta has already implemented certain cultural projects, including the First National City Sculpture Contest.
- Kadygrob & Taylor Art Projects: Independent platform for contemporary art development and support in Ukraine. The team lists many successfully held exhibitions of both emerging and internationally recognized Ukrainian artists.
- In collaboration with: Yorkshire Sculpture Park
And supported by:
- Kyiv City State Administration
- The KSP Board of Trustees
- Yuliya Liovochkina, Co-founder of the non-profit organization "Spilna Meta", deputy of Verkhovna Rada, member of PACE (The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe)
- Markiyan Lubkivsky, Head of UEFA EURO 2012 in Ukraine
- Alexander Mazurchak, The first deputy head of the Kyiv City State Administration
- Natalia Zaimenko, Head of the National Botanical Garden
- Igor Voronov, Founder of Voronov Art Foundation